Saturday, March 13, 2004

The heart has its reasons

She said that the difference between us is that I think with my head and she thinks with the heart. ·In my defense, the head has always been the one that saved me. ·It's the heart that usually gets me into trouble. ·But it's also the heart that brings joy in my life.

The complete sentence is actually "The heart has its reasons which reason does not know." attributed to Blaise Pascal. ·I read this the first time in an economics text, of all places. ·But that was before I discovered Edward de Bono's book Six Thinking Hats. ·I knew of de Bono years before from a BBC TV series on PBS (he later wrote a book based on that series). ·It was the Hat book (see the brief description and the first chapter) that described a reasonable process to solve the problem between reason and heart. As I recall, his advice was that when it's time to make a decision, to consider the results of the Red Hat last. ·Because in the final analysis, it is the heart that has to decide. ·But you do with the full consultation of the head first.

Then, to help you implement your decision, you may have to read Six Action Shoes.

No comments: