Friday, March 19, 2004

Madonna: Ray of Light


Madonna: Ray of Light
Blissless and I are in sync this time (see her comments). I really like this album. I like the tempo and mellow melodies. What a voice, soft and warm, yet at times assertive. I was pleasantly surprised, as this is my first significant exposure to her music.

As Stephen Thomas Erlewine at AMG indicates:
... During 1997, she worked with producer William Orbit on her first album of new material since 1994's Bedtime Stories. The resulting record, Ray of Light, was heavily influenced by electronica, techno, and trip-hop, thereby updating her classic dance-pop sound for the late '90s. Ray of Light received uniformly excellent reviews upon its March 1998 release and debuted at number two on the charts. Within a month, the record was shaping up to be her biggest album since Like a Prayer. ...
From what I read and what blissless told me, Ray of Light is atypical of Madonna's previous work. But with a four year hiatus between this and the last one, change like this doesn't surprise me. Nevertheless, I am piqued to hear more, so Madonna and Like a Prayer are next.

I don't know if this is going to help. I've just retrieve my copy of Aaron Copland's What to Listen for in Music from storage. Hopefully, a reading will make my future comments on music more informed.

No comments: