Monday, March 15, 2004

Survival of the Prettiest

I couldn't resist, after reading CatherineM's March 14 post "Ping-Pong, The Bitch is Dead". It's a tough world out there.

I came across Nancy Etcoff in an article she wrote in the March 17, 1994 issue of Nature called "Beauty and the beholder". It was one of several on this very interesting subject. So, when her book came out, I naturally had to read it, especially before her scheduled talk at the Harvard Coop some weeks later. Besides, although we never met, Nancy was a former neighbor. I had wanted to introduce myself to her.

Unfortunately, right after I got the book, I landed in the hospital. Don't read this book in a place like that, it might spoil your enjoyment of it.

Anyway, I got out of the hospital a few days before her talk. Not feeling well enough, I didn't go. Consequently, I missed the opportunity to ask her a very important question - "Why are there not pictures or photos in a book on beauty?". Well, after all these years, maybe I'll send her an e-mail and ask.

No comments: