Thursday, September 23, 2004

The Question of God - Part 2

I was still basking in the warm glow of last night's RiverSing event when I started to watch the second part of The Question of God. So, understandably, I was slightly distracted at the beginning. With lower expectations, I was pleasantly surprise to find it better than Part 1. Perhaps it was due the questions of free will, morality, suffering, death, and other morbid subjects.

On the subject of free will, I'm reminded of the excellent section called The Doctrine of Free Will in Bertrand Russell's essay Has Religion Made Useful Contributions to Civilization?.

Since Freud is a major character in this series, it was interesting to me to learn the historical background surrounding the writing and publication of Civilization and Its Discontents and Three Essays on the Theory of Sexuality. These are two excellent books. The latter holds a special memory for me due to reading most of it some 20 years ago in a cafe while in Vienna for the weekend.

No comments: