Monday, October 04, 2004

El Pago

Paycheck (Spanish)On the subject of memory erasure, Paycheck is awesome. I saw it over the weekend. However, I was clueless at first as to why the title on the video reads Paycheck (El Pago). Then as I started to watch the movie, why are there Spanish subtitles? Oh!

In the Ben Affleck & John Woo Interview, John Woo said of Philip K. Dick:
John Woo (JW): Er, to be honest, I hadn't read any of his books before Paycheck (review), but I had seen several of the movies made from his books, like Blade Runner, Minority Report (review) and Total Recall.
He has one up on me. I haven't read any. But like Woo, I've seen most of the movies made from his work:
Minority Report (2002) (short story)
Impostor (2002) (story Impostor)
Total Recall (1990) (short story We Can Remember It For You Wholesale)
Blade Runner (1982) (novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?)
Apparently, another novel is being made by the same name, A Scanner Darkly (2005):
Set in a future world where America has lost the war on drugs, undercover cop Fred (Keanu Reeves) is one of many agents hooked on the popular drug Substance D, which causes its users to develop split personalities. Fred, for instance, is also Bob, a notorious drug dealer. Along with his superior officers, Fred sets up an elaborate scheme to catch Bob and tear down his operation.
Paycheck (El Pago)Back to Paycheck, do you think if they had used this cover, I would have known? Not likely.

No comments: