Sunday, October 10, 2004

State of Confusion

A little humor from today's newspaper:

TALES FROM THE CITY
The Landlord Situation
October 10, 2004

State of Confusion

When my friend and I first moved to Boston, fresh from an out-of-state college, we rented an apartment on Beacon Hill. A few days after moving in, we had a plumbing problem, so I dialed up the landlord. "He's not available," the receptionist said somberly. "He's insituate."

"I'm so sorry," I said and hung up. I repeated the news to my roommate. We had never heard of that condition before but felt badly that we'd tried to disturb him when he was dealing with something so obviously serious.

We found out a few days later that Scituate was the name of a town. Until then, we had sincerely hoped that our landlord would have a speedy recovery.

JAN WHITTED, Cambridge

No comments: